Warehouse management systems and software
Having a warehouse of inventory can be beneficial for a business that sells products, but it can also be a big responsibility. Ensuring that the warehouse is stocked and that orders go in and out on time is just the start—there's also the issue of warehouse safety to consider.
There are many tools and processes that can streamline the warehouse management role and help a warehouse manager stay on top of day-to-day activities, plan for the future of the business and examine the long-term options for warehouse growth or expansion.
If you've chosen to stock a warehouse rather than dropship, it's going to require precision management and close attention. The roles of a warehouse manager include:
- Inventory monitoring. Warehouse managers are responsible for tracking deliveries and pickups, maintaining inventory control and ensuring the warehouse is properly stocked. Warehouse management software is critical for successfully managing inventory.
- Equipment management. Warehouse equipment includes the machines necessary for loading and unloading inventory, as well as the shelving necessary to house it. Warehouse racking is specially designed to help you make the most of your space. If you're unsure of how to maximize your area, you may want to work with a warehouse consultant to help evaluate the space.
- Risk management and safety. Warehouse managers are also responsible for establishing safe practices in the warehouse for all employees who work in it or access it. They are also responsible for having the knowledge to handle and store dangerous materials.
Warehouse Management Software
Warehouse management software is an important tool for all warehouse managers in monitoring and managing their inventory. When purchasing a warehouse management system, your needs will be dictated by your business. However, you'll want to look for some or all of the following features:
- Custom reporting and historical analysis
- Serial number or bar code tracking
- Order tracking
- Customer information management